Assumptions

In this week's talk, Burr worked around the story of Jesus healing the man born blind in John 9. From the buzz I've heard, Burr's talk was really helpful. I wish I could have been there to hear it. It's interesting that while Burr was speaking on a healing of Jesus, I was in bed sick.

In my study of the passage this week, I was intrigued by the question that appears at the start. "Who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" (v1). The assumptions in this question are really interesting.

First, they assumed that the man was born blind because someone sinned - a cause and effect assumption.
Second, they assumed that there were two parties (the man or his parents) that could have contributed to this man's blindness - a closed system assumption.

In Jesus' response, he shakes both the cause and effect assumption and the closed system assumption. Let's think some more about these assumptions and, perhaps, experience God's gracious shaking of our own assumptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment