Failure as faltering

I've been thinking and praying a lot about failure over the last couple of weeks. We've been working through a series on failure and I'm going to be speaking in a couple of weeks.

The Bible actually has a lot to say about failure.

But something's been catching my attention as I've been reading. When the Bible refers to failure, it's often referring to faltering. Here're some examples of what I mean:

"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail." Lam. 3:22

"My heart pounds, my strength fails me; even the light has gone from my eyes." Ps. 38:10

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Ps. 73:26

These images of failing contrast beautifully with the picture of God as one who never fails - who steadys us, supports us, holds us, and upholds us. This seems so meaningful and beautiful to me.

When I fail and sin, I ask God for forgiveness and joyfully receive the forgiveness that He gives me in Christ. But then, when I turn my attention to my struggles against sin, I often struggle on as if I'm struggling alone. And I usually continue failing.

But into this pattern of self-dependent failure the Bible whispers "Your flesh and your heart may fail, but God is the strength of your heart and your portion forever."

So, please continue to struggle against failure and sin, but take courage in this truth: "Though your flesh and your heart may fail, God is the strength of your heart and your portion forever." Struggle and ask for help. Struggle with a grateful heart. Struggle and rejoice in your Help and your Savior - who loves you and is actively and wonderfully and lovingly conforming you to the image of the One we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment