All in the timing

I love buffets. Today, I went with Will to Crystal Chinese Kitchen ("a shining jewel of pseudo-Chinese fried deliciousness" or an "inauthentic slop heap" depending on which review you read). I always leave Crystal stuffed to the gills and I'm always hungry a few hours later...the rice, I know.

In Proverbs today, I read about buffets...or at least about that dance of plenty and want.
Better a little with the fear of the LORD
than great wealth with turmoil.
Better a meal of vegetables where there is love
than a fattened calf with hatred.
I couldn't help but think of this on-going, mostly (but not completely) one-sided (thanks, Larry) conversation we've been having on the blog about discipline and "training wisely."

Some of us rely too much on resources. Some of us don't use them enough. As mentioned here, we need more than resources to "train wisely."

We need the right timing. So often, our attempts to pursue discipline fail because we try to do too much, we go to the buffet and put too much food on our plate, we over-reach.

I remember the first time I tried to read the Bible every day. It didn't work. I tried to read too much too fast. My timing was off. There's nothing inherently wrong with reading the Bible for an hour a day or owning a fattened calf. Some people can do it. Maybe someday, you and I will be among those people. But what usually happens when our timing is off is that we go great for a few days and then crash. We read for an hour, then don't have the time, then drop the discipline. We get the fattened calf or the great wealth and experience turmoil.

Timing matters.

In some cases, too much, too soon can be worse than nothing at all (see 1 Tim 3:6). Let's be realistic about our timing. What disciplines can we realistically incorporate into our lives today? What would be too much?

Let's train wisely. Timing matters. We don't pursue Jesus in a vacuum. We need to be aware of our current limits if we are going to challenge them with growth. And since we're not in a vacuum, we should probably think about how the people around us, our community, impacts our training wisely...

No comments:

Post a Comment