Five reasons I hate evangelism series

I've been reading Henry V before going to bed. I love the olde spear shaker: he moves me and then puts me to sleep.

Last night I read this:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'
- Henry V III.1

I don't think I'll be running around yelling "God for Harry," but I do feel a little bit like a "greyhound in the slips, straining upon the start." I can't wait for school to start again and everyone to get back. That's what not having classes will do to ya, huh?

This Winter Term, starting in a few weeks, we'll be kicking off the new year with a series on Evangelism. I love evangelism, but hate evangelism series.

Here's five reasons why I usually hate evangelism series:
5) They're pessimistic and assume evangelism isn't happening
4) They're irrelevant and don't address the reasons I don't share
3) They're theologically off-kilter and make God seem puny
2) They're shame-based and manipulative
1) They're non-invitational. Would you invite a visitor to this?

I'd like to expand on these over the next week and force myself to wrestle with them. I'd love for our start-of-the-year series to be different and new, but, first, I have to deconstruct the old. Why do our conversations about evangelism usually end up in the pessimistic, irrelevant, off-kilter, manipulative and non-invitational place?

No comments:

Post a Comment