You can't do everything

You can't do everything.

We talk about this all the time in GCF. We've been told for most of our lives to do more and more and more, that doing more was the pathway to success. We talk about this all the time, but we still struggle with it. You can't do everything.

I find it so challenging to see that, when Peter and Andrew and James and John start to follow Jesus, they leave their nets and boats behind.

I don't want to leave anything behind. And there's nothing wrong with nets and boats, except that they hinder us from following Jesus and becoming fishers of men.

I have to admit, I'm tired of talking about this. I don't feel that I have anything new to say in the arena of work limits.

This is one of my big ministry struggles. I over-estimate the memorability of my sermons and this makes me feel like a broken record. "No one wants to hear me say 'You can't do everything' again."

But I think it's more complicated than that. It's more complicated because this is an arena where I struggle to maintain moral authority.

I tell these folks at W&L, these folks I love, that you can't do everything, but if you look at my life you see me really trying, trying to do everything.

And that's a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment