Time is not on my side

When was the last time I just wandered somewhere? These days, I always seem to have somewhere to be, something to do.

Time seems scarce. Why is that?

I don't have less time. Do I?

Years ago, I encountered Eugene Peterson's idea of the "unbusy pastor." Peterson claimed that he became busy for two reasons: vanity and laziness. He nailed me.

Seth Godin mentioned the same problem of busyness recently on his blog: "I'd like to posit that for idea workers, misusing Twitter, Facebook and various forms of digital networking are the ultimate expression of procrastination. You can be busy, very busy, forever." He nailed me.

My busyness, my time-poverty fuels my insensitivity to the needs of people around me. I walked past that homeless lady because I had somewhere to go. And that's okay. We don't have to be constantly interruptable. But we lose something significant when we are never interruptable. The artist and the zealot will live lonely if they don't find a way incorporate strategic interruptability into their passion.

Time is neither linear nor constant, it only seems that way. Some say that God exists outside of time, but that's not quite accurate either. The beauty of the Incarnation reveals that God also exists inside of time. Time matters to God. Time matters to God if for no other reason than that time matters to us. For us to be the sort of people God is calling us to be, to engage God's mission as God's people, we need a new relationship with time.

We need time to be on our side.

No comments:

Post a Comment