Vulnerability

Paul seemed to value vulnerability in ministry.

I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power. - 1 Cor. 2:3-5

But now that there is no more place for me to work in these regions, and since I have been longing for many years to see you, I plan to do so when I go to Spain. I hope to visit you while passing through and to have you assist me on my journey there, after I have enjoyed your company for a while. - Rom. 15:23-24

We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us. - 1 Thes 2:8

This vulnerability runs counter to so much of ministry culture in the circles in which I run. We preach with confidence, even when we're not confident. We instinctively mask financial asks. We hide our real lives so that people will respect us.

Why do we resist vulnerability? What can we do to live vulnerable lives in ministry? Why should we make ourselves vulnerable?

No comments:

Post a Comment