We share because He's worthy

God is worthy of worship.

God's worthiness provides us with one of our main motivations to evangelize. We want to see people praise him. We want others to praise the people and things we love and consider praise-worthy. This motive for sharing applies to April's Cinnamon Twists, Seth Godin's blog, and the fact that the University will let people in ministry use their gym for free...not just God. I've shared enthusiastically about all four of these this week.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be speaking on this passage from Luke 17:
Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, "Jesus, Master, have pity on us!"
When he saw them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were cleansed.

One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan.

Jesus asked, "Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?" Then he said to him, "Rise and go; your faith has made you well."

And I'm torn. There's a lot going on in the passage, a lot that we can learn and be challenged by:
---the significance of faith
---the mercy of God
---the need for gratitude.

Can you see how I could preach on those things, how they flow from the passage?

But I think I want to take a different angle. I'm not sure that the angles I'm looking at are more central to the story and the context. It's tough, but here they are:
God is worthy of worship and that's why we "find people"
We share because God cares

I feel like there are five sermons floating around in this passage and that God's laid it on my heart to preach the last one: We share because God cares. But I know I'll end up mentioning that God is worthy of our worship.

One of the ways Jesus frames evangelism is as finding people to give praise to God. To adjust a quote from John Piper: "Evangelism exists because worship doesn't."

No comments:

Post a Comment