Quickly

Quickly.

I remember hearing that the freshmen women's small group was studying Galatians. I was curious. Why Galatians?

Paul was amazed that the Galatians so quickly deserted Christ for another gospel (notice that they didn't desert Christ's gospel, they deserted Christ himself).

All around us we see people who are deserting Christ too quickly: some after a few months, some after a few years. Too quickly. So quickly. "Tacheos" in the language of Paul.

Some things should be done tacheos. Elsewhere in the NT, you see people welcoming the poor quickly (Luke 14:21) and quickly moving to take advantage of a business opportunity (Luke 16:6). Tacheos isn't a problem, in and of itself. (We're not Ents.)

But to desert Jesus quickly, that's surprising, astonishing, shocking. Here we glimpse the first hint of Paul's rising sarcasm. The word he uses to describe his emotion around their quick desertion of Christ is "thaumazo," a word which most often means "amazement" and frequently comes with a positive connotation. It's like the moment when your wife tells you she's overjoyed with what you did for mother's day (note to self: do something for mother's day). The juxtaposition between how you know they actually feel and the language they use creates a huge tension.

I'm amazed at how quickly you managed to desert Christ! I'm just so impressed. Loads of people have deserted Christ over the years, but of them all, I think you've done it the fastest. I'd like to give you a cookie. Would you like a cookie? How 'bout a pat on the head? Would you like that?

I imagine that Paul could replace the word "quickly" with loads of others in a sarcastic evaluation of my spiritual life.

I'm amazed at how easily...
I'm amazed at how unnecessarily...
I'm amazed at how self-servingly...
I'm amazed at how half-heartedly...
I'm amazed at how unthinkingly...
I'm amazed at how willingly...
I'm amazed at how frequently...
I'm amazed at how quickly.

Quickly.

What would happen if we never deserted Jesus, if we stayed true to him and to his cause? What would happen if we didn't desert quickly or frequently of at all? Would the whole campus change or just most of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment