Surfing the waves of disillusionment

I've been hit by a wave of disillusionment lately.  It doesn't have anything to do with campus, but I think it does have something to do with this stage of life.  People in their twenties are especially prone to disillusionment.  We haven't been there, seen that, done it all and become jaded, yet.

I wish I knew how to avoid becoming jaded.  I've got lots of people who'd love to know that secret.

Disaster looms when the waves of disillusionment swell.  Things that seemed stable start to rock.  Foundations erode.  Clean, clear waters turn muddy and dark.  The straight and narrow path can disappear into the tangling mist.

I remember one Large Group at Duke, hearing a Div School student whose name I can't remember, but I played basketball with him and was shocked to find out that he was in the Div School.  He asked us to close our eyes and read us Matthew 7:24-27.  Then he asked us how many of us had pictured houses: "house on the rock" and "house on the sand."  Hands went up.  Then he asked us how many of us had pictured men: "like a wise man who built his house on the rock" and "like a foolish man who built his house on the sand."  Not a single hand went up.  Electricity roiled through the room.  "The passage is about these men" he said.  And I don't remember anything else he said.

Last night, I read "The Obstinancy of Belief," another great essay by Lewis where he details how relationship with Jesus the Person provides grounds to continue to trust God in the midst of doubt. 

This morning I wanted to read Matthew 7.  I feel like one of those men in the story, like someone Lewis was reaching out to.  The rain is coming down, the streams are rising and the winds are blowing and beating against the house.  Will it stand or will it fall?  It's built now.

This is why we build our houses on God's word, not on anything else.  We sling the brick and mortar of Jesus' words in Small Group and in preaching and in discipling and in our worship, deepening our relationship with him with every layer and layer.  We do it because the rain is coming, the streams will rise and the winds will most surely blow and beat against the houses we build.  And we want our houses to stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment