Failure to connect

I had lunch today with the small group of Staff who serve with InterVarsity in Tampa and St. Petersburg.

Over lunch, I was trying to tell Brad about a Small Group I was involved in during that gap summer before I went to Oxford.  It was through USF.  The guys all played Age of Empires II (but I wasn't up to their level, so I wasn't invited to join).  And that's it.  That's all I can remember.  That and the fact that I gave them my tent after I decided that I was too much of a wimp to be a camper.

I was in and around the Small Group for a couple of months and I can't remember anything.  I can't remember anyone's name.  I can't remember what we studied or where we met.

My only interaction with the Small Group was at the weekly meetings.  Therein lies the problem.

If we fail to connect with people personally, relationally, the content of our Small Group will richochet off of them.

God told us all sorts of things about himself, but to be honest, if he hadn't connected with us through Jesus, I doubt we'd have paid a lot of attention.  When God becomes abstract and disconnected, he gets forgotten.

I feel like I keep circiling back to this idea of connection over and over again.  But it's so essential to our Small Group strategy and it's so essential to our theology as a movement. 

Failure to connect is failure.  Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment