Hebrews 8: They Will All Know Me

One last thought on Hebrews 8 and then I'll move on.

I'd be lying to you if I pretended that the out with the old attitude of Hebrews 8 didn't bother me. I like that Christianity has deep roots, digging into fertile stories about love and families and tragedy and movement. I like that God isn't about to release a Christianity Vista with that messed up Start Menu (you know what I've talking about).

But what if this "out with the old" attitude was more about fulfillment than change?

That's part of what that phrase in Hebrews 8:11 is all about: "they will all know me."

As God's story moves through history, there's this wild interchange between exclusion and inclusion. God created the world and everything in it in one scene. You blink and he's talking to Abraham. Big picture. Small picture.

God gets to the big through the small. And he gets to the small through the big. Think about church growth: member by member. Think about how we band together to serve our hurting neighbor. Small to big. Big to small.

I love that God said, even back then, even before then, that "they will all know me." Some things change. Some things don't.

This new covenant leads to more inclusion. The law gets included in our very hearts. All of Israel gets included in this inclusion. Outsiders, Gentiles get included.

Somewhere, in the declaration of "they will all know me", I hear an echo of my own inclusion. And yours.

Praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment