7 Reasons Students Avoid Christianity

I remember being a research nerd.

I read a great blog post from Patrick Madigan today, a non-nerdy InterVarsity intern up in Charleston.  As part of his internship, he's been listening to students and trying to discern the sources of their hesitations about Christianity. 

I did the same thing when I was an intern.  Here's a sample from my research paper:

In the fall of 2004 a small convenience sample (n=10) of students at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University participated in short, semi-structured interviews on matters of belief and spirituality on campus and in their personal lives.  This paper contains their most frequent objections to Christianity or reasons for not participating in Christian life on campus.  This paper also outlines possible responses to the objections and reasons posed.
Painfully nerdy.  But here's what I found:

1) Jesus - Who was he, really, and why does he matter?
2) The Bible - Should I trust it?
3) Christians - Why would I want to be one of them?
4) Suffering - Why hasn't God done something?
5) Costly - Is it worth it?
6) Inappropriate - Can't I get to it later?
7) Culture - What's Christianity?

What other reasons have you heard?

1 comment:

  1. 8) They don't realize that they don't need to be perfect-they are fine just the way they are.

    9) Some have been pushed too much so they don't want to.

    10) Some haven't even been talked to/reached. Others don't know how to accept Jesus but want to and need someone to walk them through it.

    ReplyDelete