What Have You Done for Me Lately?

This question reveals something about the nature of a relationship.

I remember hearing Eddie Murphy do a bit on this, imagining a woman who got all of her social standing from his celebrity, yet had the selfishness to ask "What have you done for me lately, Eddie?"  We laugh at her shallowness, and his pain. 

"What have you done for me lately?" isn't a question that comes from love, from respect, from real relationship.

But, so often, this is how we interact with God. 

And I'm not alone.

I've been reading Deuteronomy recently and seeing over and over again God taking the time to answer this question of distrust.  God stretches our memory, reshaping our definition of "lately." 

I love that God doesn't force us to avoid the "What have you done for me" element of the question.  He knows our place and our nature and allows us to be dependent, pushes us to be needy but in relationship.

And I love that God doesn't turn this question on us, doesn't ask us to earn his favor with exciting "done for me's."  This doesn't stop us from trying, from frequent and futile attempts to earn grace.  But it does mean that, when our attempts fail, our friends can step in and remind us of grace.

Helping students wrestle with the "What have you done with me lately?" question makes up a huge part of the job of an InterVarsity Staff.  With God's word, we stretch the lately's and recall grace.

How has God stretched your "lately's"?

No comments:

Post a Comment