What's Missing from the Ten Commandments?

George Carlin had this great bit about the Ten Commandments.  He narrows the 10 down to 2 ("Always be honest and faithful" and "Try really hard not to kill anybody"), then to 1 ("Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself").

Ten is a pretty arbitrary number.  It sounds very official.  But Jesus had a list of two ("Love God" and "Love your neighbor") and the Jewish people had 613 commandments.

I wonder if God left something out.

I mean, we Christian have long lists of things that you're supposed to do and not supposed to do, things we've elevated to the level of law.

For me, church attendance feels like it belongs in the Ten Commandments.  I feel like, if I sleep in on a Sunday, the God Squad will show up, armed to the teeth with Bibles and tracts.  I think I'd add "Thou shalt attend church" just so my guilt has some justification.

While I'm at it, I'd also add something about caring for the poor, sensitively inviting other people into relationship with God and not cheering for UNC Basketball. 

The 14 Commandments. 

Doesn't have the same ring to it, but it reflects something about reality.  I'm much more focused on making it to church and avoiding cheering for UNC than I am on Sabbath keeping and avoiding graven images.

What would you add, if you had to add one to the Big Ten?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:04 AM

    Thou shalt not commit cannibalism.
    Thou shalt not commit rape.
    Thou shalt not commit incest.
    Thou shalt not have sex with children.
    Thou shalt not own slaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:07 AM

    P.S. Since most humans (including atheists) find those acts immoral, and since your god failed to include them in his list of don'ts, clearly today's humans (at least we in the west) are more moral than your god.

    ReplyDelete