False Gods and Child Sacrifice

As an aside during Andy Crouch's talk at Staff Conference, he shared this thought:

All false gods demand child sacrifice, eventually.
I've been reflecting on this statement some today as I read through Matthew.  The slaughter of the innocents in Matthew 2 reveals in some way the strength of humanity's desire to resist the reign of God and the depths we're willing to go to to maintain our own sense of control over the world.

It's horrifying.  But it's not a one-time event.

What false gods are being worshipped when children are sacrificed to abortion and unjust war?  What false gods are being worshipped when children are allowed to live, but are pushed to the fringes of society?  What false gods are being worshipped when I'm too busy or distracted to spend time with my son?

Where do you see child sacrifice in our culture? 
Can you spot the false god?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:48 AM

    An outstanding share! I've just forwarded this onto a friend who has been conducting a little homework on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast due to the fact that I discovered it for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this issue here on your blog.

    my blog - diets that work for women

    ReplyDelete