You Can't Be on the Frontier Alone

I feel these weird emotional pulls when I learn about other people entering the fields I'm serving.  Am I alone in this?

On the one hand, I'm excited to have partners on campus.
On the other, I just want to be left alone.

There's a part of me that wants to say "Oh, you're coming here too.  Sweet.  You take it.  I'll go somewhere else, somewhere that's not being served."  The frontier carries a real beauty, a beauty that's spoiled by company.

But you can't be on the frontier alone.  At least, not in ministry.

I don't want to be here all by myself. 

I want God to be here.

And God's presence always comes with company. 

You can't hide God or hoard God or heap God in your corner.  He's not tame.  If he's with you, those folks who follow him will show up too.  And let's face it, he's with you, but you're also with him.

If you're serving on a frontier - whether it's a jungle or a campus - expect company.  This is good news.  Or horrible news.  Depends on you attitude, I guess.  And the day.

How do you feel when someone moves into your field?

No comments:

Post a Comment