Bring Me Some Of The Fish You Have Just Caught

Jesus is generous.

I think we all know this truth and probably believe this truth, but I encountered this truth in a new way this morning. 

Reading John 21, Jesus approaches his disciples after the resurrection.  They have returned to fishing and have worked all night without any success.  From the shore, Jesus tells them to throw the net in again and ... presto ... they catch so many fish they can't even get their net back into the boat.

What a miracle!

But the miracle isn't where I see Jesus' generosity.

Once the disciples get the fish back into the boat, Jesus asks them to bring him some of the fish they have just caught.  "Fish you have just caught."  I mean, technically, it's true.  But it's not what I would have expected.

I would have expected Jesus to say "Bring me some of the fish and, while you're at it, give me some props for coming back from the dead" or "Bring me some of the fish I graciously gave you" or even just "Bring me some of my miracle fish."  But that's not what he did.

Bring me some of the fish you have just caught.

Jesus credits with catching even when it took a miracle.

This should encourage all of us as we engage in God's work.  We find ourselves frequently in up to our necks, on the verge of being overwhelmed.  We don't know what to say.  We know our words won't be enough.  We won't be enough.  We need a miracle.

And when God comes through for us, we're so grateful.  He doesn't owe us anything and he certainly doesn't owe us anything else.  To call us and consider us fish-catchers is an honor.

Where have you seen Jesus' generosity recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment