Reverse the tide of disrespect

Showing disrespect can be a way to build intimacy.  To someone's face, it can be funny.  I disrespect you because I like you.  Behind someone's back ... well ... there are other reasons for that.

But disrespect can also backfire.  The person you disrespect may have thin skin.  The person may have fans and friends, who don't appreciate the disrespect.

James 3:9-12 details the danger of disrespect ... true disrespect.

Cursing human beings, who have been made in God's likeness, is inconsistent for someone who praises our Lord and Father.  When true disrespect flows out of us it fractures us.

Recently, I've found myself feeling really comfortable talking disrespectfully to and about people and it bothers me.  It bothers me because I want to be someone who values community and relationships.  It bothers me because I hate it when someone disrespects a person I care about.  It bothers me because I know I can't control it ... it will spill out when I don't want it to.

So, how do we reverse the tide of disrespect?

No comments:

Post a Comment