Why can't we just let them look down on us because we're young?

In 1 Timothy, Paul tells a young pastor not to let anyone look down on him because he's young.  And I've always found this prescription a little strange.

You can't really control whether or not people look down on you.  I mean, you can avoid giving them ammunition (and this was probably what Paul had in mind), but control is beyond your reach.

Wouldn't it make more sense to ignore the down-lookers?

----------------------------------------------------------

There are as many reasons to go into campus ministry as there are campus ministers.

I loved college students, hated hospitals and felt I didn't have much to offer people who were older than me.  If I was going to step into ministry, campus ministry seemed like a good fit.

But over the last couple of years, I've experienced a shift.  I still love college students.  I still don't love hospitals.  But I'm starting to see that even a young man might have something to offer to folks a little further along life's path.

It started with Bill Hunter .  He showed me a tremendous amount of respect, listening to me and encouraging me.  Even though Bill stands twice as tall as me, he never looked down on me.  His wife, Wendy, was right behind him, inviting me to serve and lead and minister.

----------------------------------------------------------

It's a short jump from "don't let them look down on you because you are young" to "focus your ministry on your peers (or younger people)."  But it was a jump Paul didn't want Timothy to make.

Here are three reasons why:

1) Everyone, of every age, needs to hear the gospel of Jesus
2) Anyone, of any age, can share the gospel of Jesus
3) Timothy had been gifted to do the work

And letting people look down on you because you're young, just isn't an option.  The stakes are too high.  The people are too precious.  And God's gift and God's call ... well ... they're pretty tough to revoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment