Leaving the land of silence

People react to stress and strain in different ways.  I react with my voice, or lack thereof.

As stress increases, I talk more and more ... until stress reaches a certain point ... and then I shut up and shut down.  I don't notice I'm doing it, but it happens every time.

But what's on the other side of the silence?  Anger perhaps?  Reasoned speech?  Prayer?  Nothing?

There's this great line in Psalm 94.  I ran across it today:
If the Lord had not been my help,
my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence.
I feel like this somedays, on hard days.  I feel like my soul is being slowly dragged, ferried across the river into the land of silence, to live there forever.  Have you ever been to the land of silence?  It isn't a dark place, though it is lonely.  Safe, right?  But isolated.

God calls us away from the land of silence, but through the valley of the shadow of death.  The invitation to settle in to the land of silence never goes away.  But God is our consistent help, calling us into prayer, reasoned speech, even anger ... connection and communion.

At the speech of God, the cosmos leaps into existence.  Speech is powerful.  Silence, like darkness, absence.  The soft, loud, musical words of God draw forth echoes in us.  Prayer and worship.  Witness and fellowship.  Not silence.

Who do you know that needs to be called out of the land of silence?

No comments:

Post a Comment