Remembering Random Things from 9/11

I remember random things from 9/11.

I was at Duke at the time.

I woke up early and headed over to the gym with Scotty.  We headed to the basement and jumped on the exercise bikes.

For some reason, the basement TVs only had two stations that day.  On the NASA station they were running a special on how the space station disposed with human waste.  Too much information for that early in the morning.

We turned on the Russian news station instead.

Even though we didn't understand Russian, it made for good background noise. 

After a few minutes, the news station showed what we thought was a trailer for the latest Hollywood blockbuster.  A plane flew into a burning building.  I remember turning to Scotty and joking that Hollywood special effects had a long way to go before catching up with real life.  I can't believe I said that.

The Russian news station kept showing the video, over and over and over.
And the anchor seemed to be taking this thing really seriously.

Over the next few minutes, it began to dawn on us that what was happening on the TV was also happening in real life.  We left the gym and spent the day trying to figure out what was going on.

I remember random things from 9/11.

I remember Dennis with tears streaming down his face, like he was standing in the rain.
I remember Shaun, convinced that Charlotte would be the next place to be attacked.
I remember Gary saying that Osama bin Laden was behind the attacks.

I remember random things.  Do you?

What do you remember from 9/11?

No comments:

Post a Comment