Anticipatory Fear



We're doing a big evangelistic outreach on campus tomorrow. 

We're hoping to help students take steps closer to Jesus, to generate conversations, to push people to rethink what they believe and why they believe it.

And I am afraid.

This fear has become familiar over the last several years.  I feel it almost every week.  It never goes away.  I feel it in my bones, aches of anticipation.

It doesn't take much to kick off this fear: evangelism, fundraising, preaching, new student outreach.  I'm so easily made afraid ... at least, in advance.

When I'm talking to potential donors or sharing the gospel or standing in front of a group of people and talking about Jesus, that fear mostly fades away.  For me, the hardest part is the anticipation.

My anticipatory fear causes me to flip through the worst possible outcomes, to expect resistance and persecution, to prepare myself for failure, for rejection.  Layer by layer, fear builds.

But in the face of anticipatory fear, I hear Jesus say:
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
And here's why this is so important ...
  • Anticipatory fear weakens us to face the trials of today
  • Anticipatory fear forces us to face trials that never come
  • Anticipatory fear distracts us from what God is doing today
So, how do we combat anticipatory fear?

Photo courtesy of http://www.morguefile.com and monosodium

1 comment:

  1. Steve, You are bold!
    I'm praying for you and this outreach right after I finish typing this message. The Lord is with you evry second of every day. He is the reason for this outreach call on Him to combat any anticipatory fear that is coming your way.

    -Christy-Aly=D

    ReplyDelete