For God's Sake Take Notes in Church


Today, millions of people will sit, listen to preaching and forget everything that is said.

Every week, I spend 38 minutes listening to my pastor preach.  Over the course of a year, this adds up to over 32 hours ... listening.  I want to remember what I've heard.

This desire to remember is bigger than a miserly desire to maximize my time.  Most preaching is worth remembering.  Someone has looked at Scripture, thought about how to communicate, and has delivered a sermon.  Out of respect, I should do my best to remember their ideas (even their bad ideas!).

But that's not all.

God speaks to us through his word, molding and shaping us, commissioning us and equipping us for his mission in the world.  And for his sake, I can't let sermons bounce in one ear and out the other.

That's why I take notes in church. 

I want to remember what I hear.

What do you do to help yourself remember what you hear?

1 comment:

  1. well, sir. i should say that i've been thinking about this for a while and that i almost never take notes in church (i tell myself that it's hard enough to understand everything in romanian without trying to write it all down and listen at the same time, but i didn't do it before i came either). and you're right, i don't remember more than a few really good lines. anyway, you're totally right. thanks for the push.

    ReplyDelete