Prolific, Brilliant and Healthy

One of my favorite podcasts is The Accidental Creative by Todd Henry. He is an excellent interviewer, an insightful coach and someone who has managed to thrive in what he calls "the create-on-demand world."

Part of his mission is to help people who work with their minds - creatives - to be prolific, brilliant and healthy. That is, Todd wants to help people do a lot of work, do great work and to do it in a way that's sustainable.

Over the last couple of years, I feel like I've done great work with InterVarsity and (even if I haven't done great work) I've done a lot of work. Prolific. Okay. Brilliant. Maybe. But healthy? Not so much.

So, in the new year, I'm looking for ways to do my work in a way that's more healthy. This blog has been a huge step in the right direction for my health and sanity.

When I started preaching more intentionally and regularly, the blog gave me a place to share ideas that ended up on the cutting-room floor. It freed me from the guilt of leaving good content out of my sermons and allowed me to preach shorter and shorter sermons (which left everyone happier and me less exhausted).

When we made the move to Florida, I was so lonely, missing my regular conversation partners and not wanting to bore Amy with all of the random thoughts bouncing around in my head, especially not when she had been up to her elbows in poopy diapers and baby burp cloths. Blogging gave me an outlet.

And I'm trying to figure out what role this blog is going to play now.

I don't want it to be an ego extender.
I don't want it to be an obligation.
I don't want it to be a time killer.

Any ideas?


ps. One of the books I'm most looking forward to reading this year is Todd Henry's The Accidental Creative. Check it out and let me know what you think?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:24 AM

    Keep those blog posts coming, Steven! They serve to inspire, inform, intrigue, and invigorate my day! You are using your God-given talents in an effective way! I hesitate to comment, making it obvious that your smarts are not from me, but I am always impressed and proud! mom

    ReplyDelete