"Come and See" in the Gospel of John

"Come and see" is my favorite evangelistic model.

By nature, I tend to argue.
By training, I tend to preach.
By culture, I tend to moralize.

But "come and see" is a different model. Witness.

That phrase - "Come and see" - shows up four times in the Gospel of John.

In John 1:39, Jesus invites two men to "come and see" where he was staying. This was an invitation to fellowship and to relationship. At least one of these men (Andrew), left this encounter really excited about Jesus.

In John 1:46, Philip tries to talk to his friend Nathanael about Jesus and begins to get some push-back. So he does what I wish I would do more often. He resists the urge to argue or moralize or preach. Instead, he invites Nathanael to "come and see."

In John 4:29, a Samaritan woman runs back to her town, fresh off of an encounter with Jesus. With breathless gasps, she tells everyone she can about her conversation with Jesus. "A man who told me everything I ever did" she exclaimed. "Come and see" makes sense here, so she invites.

Lastly, in John 11:34, Jesus has just lost a friend. Lazarus dies and his family mourns him. Jesus shows up during the funeral and meets with the family. He asks where the body is and they reply "Come and see." Jesus weeps. And then raises Lazarus from the grave.

"Come and see" is a deeply biblical model of evangelism, a model that flows from our trust in God, a model that relies on God's activity.

Have you ever invited someone to "come and see"?

No comments:

Post a Comment