A Hard Prayer to Pray

Last week, I found a prayer I couldn't pray.

I started to pray for undocumented students on our campuses, working with the Lord's Prayer, allowing Jesus' structure to guide my conversation with God.

And I got to this part:
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us
And that is a hard prayer to pray. It always is. But I've made a commitment to live a life of forgiveness and of love. And I've learned how to forgive. So, normally, I can pray this line with a clear conscience.

Working with the Lord's Prayer, however, I ran into a real difficulty:
Treat me the way I treat undocumented students
And I started to pray this line. But is this what I really want?

Do I want God to pay attention only when it's convenient?
Do I want God to help only when I have the boldness to ask?
Do I want God to love only from a distance?

Father, forgive me. Forgive us.

No comments:

Post a Comment