Why Do We Want Money?

When Jesus teaches his disciples to pray, one line from his prayer is the famous:
Give us this day our daily bread
The church has had a hard time through her history with the concept of "daily bread."

According to Eugene Peterson's fantastic Eat This Book, for a long time people treated "daily bread" as if it was special bread. Supersubstantial. Manna. Lembas. But "daily bread," it was later discovered, was a koine Greek phrase for fresh bread, bread baked today to be eaten today, enough bread for today, bread that hasn't gone stale yet.

But we don't pray for bread much today.

We pray for money. Well, I pray for money. More than bread at least.

Money represents freedom to me. Freedom and control.

With money, I can eat what I want, when I want.
With money, I can hire who I want, when I want.
With money, I can do what I want, when I want.

But what if God wanted to provide for us directly, without the medium of money? What if God provided food, but not money? What if God provided Staff for our ministry, great volunteers, but not money? What if God wanted more for me than freedom and control?

In ministry, beware the temptation to fixate on the money. This would probably be helpful in life as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment