Prayer is no small thing

Somedays, all you can do is pray.

Maybe you don't have the resources to help.
Maybe you're not invited.
Maybe you don't know what to say.
Or think.
Or do.

Maybe you don't have the time.
Maybe you don't have the energy.
Maybe you don't have the patience.

But prayer is no small thing.

I often feel guilty when prayer is my only option. I feel like I should be doing more. If I'm honest with myself, I feel like I should be doing something real. Even though my theology says that prayer is real, it doesn't always feel real.

"Prayer is no small thing" I keep telling myself.

Jesus prayed and calls on his disciples to pray. The church throughout history has prayed, prayed in tough situations, tougher than anything I or my community has ever gone through. God's people will always pray. Prayer is a distinguishing mark of the people of God.

Prayer is no small thing. Which is why you should pray.

Short prayers. Long prayers.
Desperate prayers. Expectant prayers.
Prayers filled with mountain-moving faith.
And prayers for faith to keep praying.Quiet and loud prayers.
Liturgical prayers and prayers that bubble up inside you.
Prayers offered up in community.
In solitude.
For prayer is no small thing.

What does prayer look like for you? What makes it tough? What makes it worth doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment