Reading List: August and September

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas

Moving and gripping story. I found the author's voice a little distracting toward the end, but finished the book very inspired by Bonhoeffer's example.

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1) by Patrick Rothfuss

Best fantasy book I've read in several years. Like Gene Wolfe meets Lloyd Alexander. Short chapters, quick pacing. Almost impossible to put down. This is a story about stories, about how legends are made ... told from a first-person point of view.

The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Day 2) by Patrick Rothfuss

A follow-up to The Name of the Wind. Follows the hero, Kvothe, as he takes a year off of school and throws his legend-making into high gear. Awkward in some places, but left me wanting more.

Welcoming the Stranger by Matt Soerens and Jenny Hwang

Another excellent book on the immigration conversation from a Christian perspective. A bit dated (the conversation shifted recently), but helpful nonetheless. I was really moved by their work with the Exodus narrative.

Paul for Everyone: The Prison Letters by Tom Wright

Wonderfully written, easy-to-read and insightful commentary on Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians and Philemon. Perfect devotional read.

The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction by Eugene Peterson

No one speaks to my soul like Peterson. I find his challenge to be "unbusy" phenomenally challenging. I keep coming back to these books over and over again (This is one of four books he wrote for pastors).

In Progress:
Paradise Lost by John Milton
Luke by Justo Gonzalez

*I also had the opportunity to write a reader report for an in-progress book contracted by InterVarsity Press. I can't review the book here since I'm an anonymous reporter and the book is still being edited. That said, the book is going to be terrific and I'm really grateful to help out my favorite publisher.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Steve, glad to hear you liked the Kingkiller Chronicles. The first one I enjoyed a great deal. The second one I enjoyed but it left me a bit uneasy about where it might be heading. I still trust Rothfuss but am a little more apprehensive as the story heads towards its conclusion. Our book club just read Little Women and then March by Geraldine Brooks. It was fun to read them in sequence and I think you might enjoy them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also am reading The Jesus Way by Peterson and very much enjoy it. It is the 3rd volume in his most recent series.

      Delete