Book Review: This Ordinary Adventure by Adam and Christine Jeske

At some point, we each look at the life we've created and ask "This is it?" Dreams, plans, and goal all give way to the ordinary from time to time.

Adam works with me over at InterVarsity. He has brought a fresh injection of passion and creativity to our organization. Even in a missions agency with almost 2,000 Staff, Adam finds ways to stand out. When I heard that he and Christine were writing a book, I was excited.

This Ordinary Adventure traces Christine and Adam's journey from college to free-wheeling, globe-trotting 20s to cubicle-filled, stay-at-home 30s. The book is full of stories and full of angst. They ask challenging questions of themselves and refuse to settle for easy answers. There isn't a lot of resolution in the book. It doesn't solve problems. But it's a story worth reading.

As I enter my 30s, I frequently find myself wondering what happened to the life I was planning on leading. My 20-year-old self would be surprised to see how I spend my time. Disappointed, perhaps. But, then, that kid didn't know what I now know and hasn't seen what I have seen.

How do you live an ordinary life in an extraordinary way? This Ordinary Adventure offers some clues. I'd recommend you check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment