I'm not the right person

Last week, I spent several hours with a group of friends studying scenes from the life of Moses. We looked at the situation around his birth, his mid-life collapse, his season of life in Midian, his return to Egypt, his confrontation with Pharaoh, and his leadership in the desert.

Knowing the whole story, Moses looks like he has been perfectly positioned by God for the moment of the Exodus. But when the moment of his call comes, Moses is convinced that he's not the right person for the job.

Do you know this feeling?

I found myself last week arguing that I wasn't the right person for a specific ministry assignment. I'm not _______ enough. Other people are more _______ than me. Surely, I shouldn't be considered for this work.

And here's the weird thing: on one level, I knew that this wasn't true. I knew I was qualified. Not perfect, but good enough for the task at hand. I knew I could do it. I knew I wanted to do it. I knew that this fit with God's calling for me. I knew. I knew. I knew.

And yet, I still gave excuse after excuse.

I'm so grateful that God pushed Moses past his excuses. And I'm glad my friends pushed me past mine.

My friends knew that my excuses were coming from a place of insecurity and a place of fear. I ducked opportunity because the risk of rejection terrified me. I dodged responsibility because I feared failing. I put my head in the sand because the sand is safe and familiar.

What about you? Where do you duck and dodge and put your head in the sand? When do you hear yourself saying "I'm not the right person"? Where does that come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment