Reading Revelation

Over the last 22 days, I read through the book of Revelation, one chapter every day.

Revelation was actually the first book of the Bible I ever read, almost 20 years ago. It captured my imagination. War, flood, famine, conflict. A fierce and fair God. Wild images of the end of the world. The imagery of the Bible and the world of John's apocalypse resonated with my love of fantasy literature and distopian science ficiton.

Why I started with the last book, I'll never know. But I haven't spent much time in Revelation since. I discovered Moses and Mark and Daniel and Ruth and Jonah. I met Jesus. And the speculative and confusing world of Revelation seemed just a little less relevant.

So, why did I go back? I decided to read in community. Some friends in Tampa were reading a chapter every day, tweeting a quote and I joined them. Along the way, I noticed that Wes Foster from Orlando was doing the same thing. Every day, my reading was complemented by what the community shared.

Here is what I shared on Twitter (@yostevetamayo):

"I hold the keys of death and Hades. Write, therefore, what you have seen ... " - Jesus

"Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

"I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name."

“You are worthy, our Lord and God ... for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”

"With your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation."

"the stars in the sky fell to earth, as figs drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind"

There before me was a great multitude from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne

"When he opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour."

"The rest of mankind who were not killed by these plagues still did not repent" ¦ Repentance is not automatic 

“Take this scroll and eat it. It will turn your stomach sour, but in your mouth it will be as sweet as honey."

"We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty ... because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign"

"He is filled with fury, because he knows that his time is short"

"This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of God’s people."

"Then I saw another angel ... and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim ... to every nation, tribe, language and people"

"Just and true are your ways, King of the nations" ¦ However this works out, in the end, God is praised for being just 

"The great city split into three parts, and the cities of the nations collapsed" ¦ Broken and divided cities are tragic

The waters you saw ... are peoples, multitudes, nations and languages Isn't water usually associated with chaos? 

"In one hour ... " How quickly even the most secure can fall!

Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!

"Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them"

“Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people ... " O come, O come, Emmanuel 

Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment