Writing Off Screen

I've actually had a phenomenally productive writing month, though you wouldn't know it from reading this blog. I've done a ton of writing in other places: grants, newsletters, sermons, talks, journaling, guest posts for other blogs. But I know that a lot of that is happening "off screen" for you.

Great stories often rely on action that happens off screen. You get glimpses here and there. Flashes of narrative light.

The Gospels are like this. Mark moves immediately from story-pearl to story-pearl. Luke lobs parables like tennis balls from a machine. Matthew shifts from sermon to sermon, John from sign to sign. If they blogged the life of Jesus, the gospel-writers would always carry this disclaimer (Jn 21:25):
Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.
I feel like those words reverberate around our ministry here in South Florida. If I tried to write every God-sighting and God-lesson down, I'd never stop writing. The whole internet couldn't contain the sentences that would fill this blog.

Here's the best bit of writing that happened "off screen" this month:

No comments:

Post a Comment