A Strange Form of Writer's Block

Stop it!

I have a strange form of writer's block.

For most writers, writer's block manifests itself when writers sit to write and can't find anything to say. The ideas fail to flow. The blinking cursor blinks mercilessly. Frustration builds.

But that's not my problem.

I have a lot to say and a lot I'd like to write. I could slam out a post every day without breaking a sweat. I'm sure I would eventually find the bottom of the well, but it would take a while.

No, my problem is different.

Over the course of a month, I wrote posts that convinced some people that I had abandoned my Christian faith and others that I was suicidal. I have no idea how they came to those conclusions. That certainly wasn't my intention when I wrote those posts.

It's tempting, when your writing is misunderstood, to blame the audience. "They don't understand nuance" and "What did they read?" and "Did they even bother to read the piece?" I found myself frustrated and afraid. These misunderstandings can have real consequences.

It's also tempting, when your writing is misunderstood, to blame yourself. "Am I that unclear?" or "Maybe I shared too much" or "Should I even keep writing?" I found myself confused and silent. Why write publicly if I can't make myself be understood?

The act of writing publicly makes yourself vulnerable. And it isn't always pleasant.

But I'm going to keep writing anyways, whether I'm understood or not.

Maybe, perhaps, once I get beyond my writer's block, I'll grow as a writer and develop thick skin and a clear voice, thick and clear enough to skip over these writer's blocks in the future.

Have you ever had writer's block? Where did it come from?

ps. The best way I know of to break through writer's block is to start writing. Write anything. Just start. Before you know it, you'll be writing better and better words.

Photo courtesy of FindYourSearch

No comments:

Post a Comment