Keeping promises

Promises are easy to make. And you get rewarded when you make them. Gratitude. Respect. Connection.

I think that's why some people make so many promises. They feed on those immediate, albeit small rewards that come when the promise is made. And so they make promises they can't keep, promises they have no intention of keeping, promises they'll never be able to keep. When the promise itself is rewarded - and it often is - keeping the promises seems less urgent.

I'm up to my knees right now in the consequences of broken promises. And I don't exactly know what to do. I want to try to hold people to their commitments. But, for some of these promises, that just isn't going to be possible.

I don't know exactly what to do. But I know what not to do.

I don't want to return broken promises with false promises.
I don't want to become a hard-hearted doubter of promise-makers.
I don't want to project this promise-breaking onto God.

What do you do when you encounter broken promises?

No comments:

Post a Comment