Because no one has told them

A student asked me today:
Why doesn't everyone know that God loves them?
Now, I had a hunch that he was wondering why everyone doesn't just innately know that God loves them and cares for them. I guessed he was wondering why God's love isn't assumed, why so many people fear God or doubt his affection. I thought I knew what he wanted to talk about.

But I took a stab in a different direction:
I guess because no one's ever told them.
He laughed and then clarified his question. But my smart-alecky answer created space for humor. And that laugh created a connection for a great conversation.

I call this the Dumb Guy technique. And it's great for building bridges.

[For Dumb Guy humor, check out this Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/the_dumb_guy]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment