Book Review: Jesus Asked by Conrad Gempf

Few books have shaped the way I interact with the gospels more than Jesus Asked by Conrad Gempf.

I decided to re-read it again this month. And, again, I was delighted.

Gempf provides a survey of the many, many questions that Jesus asked people (and the way Jesus responded to people's questions). He digs into a great deal of background and context around Jesus' conversations with people without getting overly bogged down. And he's funny.

At the core of Jesus Asked, Conrad Gempf shares this thought:
Perhaps we get to the heart of spiritual reality not by asking things, but by allowing ourselves to be questioned.
This idea pushes us to receive the questions Jesus asks, and to hold our own questions with humility. And it runs right against my instinct. I want to be the question-asker, not the answer-giver. But then, Jesus' questions focus more on loyalty than on information. And perhaps that's why his questions are so difficult to answer.

I would highly recommend this book. It's a quick read, funny and insightful.

[As a bonus, you can listen to Gempf read his book for FREE here: Jesus Asked]

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the Jesus book, Steve. Have you seen the Paul book yet? gempf.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet. I actually saw it for the first time when I posted this review. I'm looking forward to taking a look at it!

      Delete