Margin for the marginal

If you want to reach students on the margins, you need to maintain margin in your schedule.

This holds true with all of our efforts to minister to people who live on the edges of our communities. Whether they live under an overpass or on the other end of the cul-de-sac, our capacity to reach out to them cannot be disconnected from the fullness of our schedules.

Ministry to people on the margins is difficult to plan, tough to schedule and impossible to do on your own timetable. You may have a willing heart. But a willing heart is not enough. The problem is not that you're not willing, it's that you're not available.

I've missed dozen, hundreds, perhaps thousands of opportunities to demonstrate the love of Jesus to people who live on the edge of my field of vision. I've missed these people because I've been too busy. I worry that I'll waste time if I maintain too much margin. And I do waste time when I sustain margin-filled seasons. But when those small windows of opportunity swing open, I'm ready to jump through. And that's the way I want to be all the time.

What keeps us from maintaining margin in our schedules?

No comments:

Post a Comment