What are you reading?

This has been a season of very fruitful reading for me. In the last 6 weeks I've read a lot of books. (See the list below)

I also had the opportunity to spend time with a group of men at Joseph Holbrook's annual Readers' Retreat. A group of 11 men gathered to talk about books that have been important to us in the last year. We talked about the ideas we found helpful and the questions the books stirred in us. The men listened well to each other, pushed when they needed to push and encouraged throughout it all. Though we gathered around the books, the significant connection wasn't with the books but with each other. This is one of the most meaningful elements of reading: connecting with other readers.

So, what are you reading? I'm on the lookout for new books to pick up and for people to talk with who're reading the books I'm reading. Post a comment below or send me a message via Facebook or Twitter.

And here's what I've read in the last 6 weeks:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien
The Man who was Thursday by GK Chesterton
The Man Who Knew Too Much by GK Chesterton
The Ballad of the White Horse by GK Chesterton
Surrender to Love by David Benner
The Gift of Being Yourself by David Benner
The Deeper Journey by Robert Mulholland
The Life of Antony of Egypt and Other Writings by Athanasius
Living in Christ's Presence by Dallas Willard and John Ortberg
Seeing Through the Fog by Ed Dobson
In Search of Deep Faith by Jim Belcher

8 comments:

  1. thats a lot of reading .... just the Lord of the Rings trilogy by itself. I don't know if my reading preferences will resonate with you but I am reading
    The Othodox Heretic by Peter Rollins
    The American Religion by Harold Bloom
    Anarchism and other Essays by Emma Goldman
    Roger Williams by John M. Barry
    The Fate of Man in the Modern World by Nicolai Berdyaev
    Where the Conflict Really Lies by Alvin Plantinga
    Comparing Modernities by S. N. Eisenstadt
    A General Theory of Secularization Revised by David Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am presently drowning in books. Most of my stuff lately has been Catholic Theology. Anything by Raniero Cantalamessa; Pope Benediction 16 especially A School of Prayer.
    I just received a book today titled the Ladder of the Monks, Guido II.
    I just ordered the book: By My Spirit, Jonathan Goforth.
    And I would encourage you to get a Septuagint version of the first testament and give it a test drive.
    Great spending time with you this weekend and looking forward to you moving to Boca.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
    A Language Older Than Words - Derrick Jensen
    The Culture of Make Believe - Derrick Jensen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spiritual Writings - Robert Bellarmine (barely started)
    Wonderful Fool - Shusaku Endo (not currently reading it, but always recommending it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard awesome things about Endo, but have never gotten around to picking up anything. Is Wonderful Fool a good starting place?

      Delete
  5. Primal Leadership by Boyatzis and McKee
    Middlemarch by George Eliot
    I recently finished Surrender to Love by Benner. Thought it was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve, here are some books I am reading or have read:
    Creation, Power and Truth; NT Wright
    Simply Jesus; NT Wright
    The Unkingdom of God; Van Steenwyk, Mark
    How God Became King; NT Wright
    Jesus and Empire; Richard Horsley
    A Theology of Word & Spirit, Donald Bloesch (first in a series of 7 books)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, guys! I definitely left the Readers' Retreat with a long to-read list!

    ReplyDelete