The Joy of Jon Batiste

I'm not much of a music person. I work in silence a lot or with the buzz of a coffee shop in the background. But I've stumbled across an artist I really love and I wanted to share him with you.

Jon Batiste is the band leader for The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. That's how I bumped into his music. I've found myself feeling a tremendous uplift whenever the opening credits for the show come on and Jon Batiste and Stay Human play their song "Humanism." Is it wrong to love a show because you love the music in their opening credits?



In the last week or two I've been listening to "Christmas with Jon Batiste" on Amazon Prime. Some of the songs are jazzy renditions of Christmas standards: "Winter Wonderland" and "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas." Others pick up more strongly on the spiritual reason for the season. Some of them are truly extraordinary.

I feel like Jon Batiste is pouring joy onto his piano and it's spilling over into my soul. I can't even describe how wonderful this album sounds.

You've got to experience it yourself.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can listen to it for free here.

No comments:

Post a Comment